On August 8th, laboratory tour for high school students was held as a part of “Open Campus” (Campus Open Day). After brief explanations of our research activities, we assisted the attendees to implement a simple adder circuit using discrete logic ICs.
Lab tour is available for 3rd-year undergraduate students.
- Venue: IST Building 11th floor 11-16
(Laboratory of Information Communication Networks)
- Schedule: In the following time slots, M1 students are available for introducing our laboratory. The representative of M1 students is Ms. Katagishi. We welcome your visit not limited to the following time slots.
- Oct. 19 (Fri) 16:30-18:00
- Oct. 22 (Mon) 16:30-18:00
Ei Ei Tun was awarded ICEAST 2018 Best Paper Award for the following paper.
- Ei Ei Tun, Supavadee Aramvith, Yoshikazu Miyanaga, “Feature Reduction on Fuzzy SVM-Based Coding Unit Decision in HEVC,” Proceedings of International Conference on Engineering, Applied Sciences and Technology (ICEAST 2018), pp. 999-1002, Track 4 (Telecommunications, Computer Science, Instrumentation and Control, Electrical and Electronic Engineering), Jul. 2018.
On 11th May, we invited Dr. Nikos Kopidakis, Ms. Yoko Kaitani (Both from Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia) for a lecture about Macquarie University focusing on their cotutelle and double degree programs.
From Rajamangala University of Technology Thanyaburi, Thailand, Prof. Keeratiburt Kanchanasatian and Prof. Chutima Prasartkaew are visiting our laboratory.
Dr. Ying He and Dr. Negin Shariati Moghadam from University of Technology Sydney (UTS) are now visiting our university. On Feb. 27, we had a technical meeting with them. The following students made their presentations to introduce our research activities.
- D2 Myat Hsu Aung
- JICA Trainee Ei Ei Tun
On Feb. 19, four undergraduate students made presentations of the following bachelor’s theses.
- Mariko Hirayama, An Evaluation of Symbol Synchronization with Measured Data Using Eye-pattern Based Offset Detection and Mueller-Muller Timing Recovery, Department of Electronics and Information Engineering, Hokkaido University, Bachelor’s Thesis, Feb. 2018.
- Yunako Katagishi, A Feasibility Study of Side Information Compression Approach for Adaptive Block Based Lossless Compression Method, Department of Electronics and Information Engineering, Hokkaido University, Bachelor’s Thesis, Feb. 2018.
- Riku Takanashi, A Design of Neural Network for Speech Emotion Recognition Using Phoneme Information and Fundamental Frequency, Department of Electronics and Information Engineering, Hokkaido University, Bachelor’s Thesis, Feb. 2018.
- Mayuka Gomi, Screen Area Detection from Presentation Video Sequences Acquired by Action Camcorders and Its Distortion Correction Using Affine Transformation, Department of Electronics and Information Engineering, Hokkaido University, Bachelor’s Thesis, Feb. 2018.
On Feb. 6, the master’s thesis defense in Division of Media and Network Technologies was held. From our laboratory, the following master theses were presented.
- Takahiro Ikeshita, Low Complexity Maximum Likelihood Estimation Detection Method in MIMO Detection for MIMO-OFDM Communication Hardware, Division of Media and Network Technologies, Hokkaido University, Master’s Thesis, Feb. 2018.
- Kenta Sugiyama, Hardware Implementation of Haze Removal Method Using Variational Model Based Transmission Map Estimation, Division of Media and Network Technologies, Hokkaido University, Master’s Thesis, Feb. 2018.
The following paper by Prof. Matteo Convertino is now available online.
- Joseph L. Servadio, Matteo Convertino, “Optimal information networks: Application for data-driven integrated health in populations,” Science Advances, Vol. 4, No. 2, Feb. 2018.
For the defailts, see the following.
In the next Japanese fiscal year, three lecture courses related to our laboratory will be available as follows in Hokkaido Summer Institute (HSI).
- Evolutionary Medical Genomics
Jul 2 – July 6, 2018
Prof. Matteo Convertino will searve as one of lectuerers
- Cyber Security Fundamentals; Theory and Practices
Aug 7 – Aug 16, 2018
Prof. Priyadarsi Nand (University of Technology Sydney) and Prof. Yoshikazu Miyanaga (Hokkaido University)
- Wireless Sensor Networks and IoT
Sep 3 – Sep 12, 2018
Prof. Negin Shariati Moghadam (University of Technology Sydney) and Prof. Yoshikazu Miyanaga (Hokkaido University)
As for the details of Hokkaido Summer Institute, please check the following pages.
Tuition fee of these lectures for Hokkaido University students is free. Hokkaido University students can make registrations for these lectures during class registration period in April. The application period for other attendees is February 1, 2018 (Thursday) – February 28 (Wednesday). For the defailts, please check http://hokkaidosummerinstitute.oia.hokudai.ac.jp/.